It feels like an eternity since I posted anything here. That could be for a number of reasons, but I’m guessing the prominent one is that it has in fact been an eternity since I posted here. Anyway it turns out I’m still alive, and at times, kicking. In fact, not only am I still here but so is mankind in general. So much for the doomsday theories. Who’d have guessed it was a pile of crap all along? In order to waste a few bytes on some server somewhere I thought it’d be worthwhile doing a bit of a brain dump onto yours and my monitor.
It seems appropriate at this point to say something about 2012, but to be honest the only word that springs to mind is ‘uneventful’. It was a year that seemed to come and go rather inconspicuously. I’m not sure if that’s really the case…I had some rather large and important projects that came and went at work, I went skiing for the first time, saw System of a Down who I once feared I would never have the pleasure of seeing after learning of them going on hiatus, yada yada yada…but everything is such a blur so as to make nothing really stand out. None of that is to say 2012 was a bad year, but after the turbulence that was 2011 with the relocation to Canberra, 2012 felt more like an epilogue of the year that came before it as opposed to its own story.
That essentially gets me to where I am now; looking into the future to see what 2013 brings. Firstly it brings the word “2013”, or more to the point, “twenty thirteen” as it will no doubt be known. People who know me may have already heard this, but “twenty thirteen” really doesn’t appeal to me as a collection of words. It simply does not roll off the tongue as nicely as “twenty eleven” or “twenty twelve”; and it is vastly inferior to the “ohh nine’s” and “ohh eights” of yester year. At least it gives us something to look forward to in “twenty fifteen” where some level of decency is restored and the year itself won’t sound rubbish.
Other than that load of irrelevance, I thought this year it might be worthwhile making a small list of goals, or New Years Resolutions as readers of horoscopes may refer to them. It’s a pretty mundane list that includes the sort of things everyone includes such as personal fitness, gaining wealth (in my case to buy a home) and to get laid more often. If anyone wants to help me reach those goals, by all means let me know. I’ve made a start on the fitness one and so far my observation is that modern treadmills allow me to watch more TV than if I wasn’t at the gym exercising. All without paying a monthly Foxtel fee. It’s fantastic. Goal two is an extension of last years and despite what I said a few sentences back, “get laid” is better summarized as “improve my social life”. I have plans to do some things outside of work to hopefully aid me there such as photography classes and potentially some sports if goal one pans out.
Other than that, I tend to not look ahead too far. Other than a trip to Melbourne and some nasty sounding wisdom teeth extractions, I really haven’t bothered to plan too far ahead. Any effort to do so usually ends up being a waste of time anyway as I’ll inevitably do something else or nothing at all. With that in mind, to end this pointless post I thought I’d compile a suitably useless list of my “top things” of 2012. There’s no real theme to this list, it’s merely what I can think of right now. Enjoy.
- Best Single: Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men
- Best Album: Elect the Dead by Serj Tankian (released in 2007, but I’m behind the times)
- Best Movie: Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011 US Version, released in Australia in 2012 so it counts) and Seven Psychopaths
- Best Movie Intro: Immigrant Song – Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross) and Skyfall – Skyfall (Adele)
- Best Video Game: Civilization V. Only because Assassins Creed 3 wasn’t brilliant and I can’t recall what games prior to that were played in 2011 and what I played in 2012.
- Best YouTube Video: Great Day – The Lonely Island.
- Best Purchase: iPhone 5. Possibly followed by my Braun 790cc and Canon 650D. Time will tell on the later two.
- Worst Purchase: My fan from Bunnings Warehouse. It’s noisy.
- Biggest Disappointment: Dark Knight Rises. Honorable mention to Prometheus.
- Best Concert: System of a Down
- Best Discovery: Chorizo. How did I get through life having not eaten one of these? My parents should be ashamed.
- Best Place: Thredbo.
- Best Color: Red
Anyway if you got this far, I wish you a very happy and belated New Years.